Planning for four
I was asked to give the details about the new job. And I will - as soon as everything is settled and the contract is signed. It takes an awful lot of time, that's for sure.
There is also some negotiations coming up about the Goose. Is she going to stay with her dad and her little sister when they move to Norway or settle with me when I move from France back to Sweden? I don't expect a battle. As I've indicated earlier, the Trønder and I communicate well, but we've never really had to make any difficult decisions. When I got the opportunity for a postdoc three and a half years ago I volunteered to leave the Goose with him knowing it would be temporary, lots of hard work and lots of travelling. Little did I know at the time that I would get another postdoc in a remote place, hook up with a new guy native of another continent and that this guy would get a job in the UK to further complificate and messify things.
My new job will still be a temporary one - and there will be lots of hard work obviously - but I will be more settled than I've been for many years. And I would very much like to spend some everyday time with my kid, not just the holidays. But I would be a single caretaker on a daily basis and will I then have time for all the large-scale experiments I plan to do? And the Goose will miss her little sister. I don't see that as a brilliant solution either, the whole situation is just a "best of a bad job" scenario. What is worse, missing mom (she's used to that) or missing dad & sister? She will of course not have to decide that, but I hate being one of those who have to make that decision for her. And after my four years in Sweden, who knows what happens then? I should obviously have thought of these possible scenarios a little earlier - like before letting myself get knocked up - but I've never been very good at planning far ahead.
And that reminds me of this months Scientiae carnival theme. Which makes this contribution about as unplanned as my career. I ended up as an evolutionary biologist by responding to opportunities along the way, not because I wanted it ever since I was a child. And to be honest, even when finishing my PhD at 31 I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life. Now at almost 36 I think I want to be a scientist, but it's not an easy task to co-ordinate the careers of four people with PhD's in biology. We're not a two-body problem; we're four-body. Planning is more difficult than ever.
scientiae-carnival
Wow, that sounds messy. I hope you can figure something out that will work for all of you. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteLook on the bright side - she's got four people who adore her. How can you go wrong with that? And all four are PhD scientists, and hence can (or have the capacity to) make rational decisions on her behalf. These are GOOD THINGS!
ReplyDeleteI sincerly hope you guys manage to find as good a solution as possible.
ReplyDeleteI assume in any case you and the Tronder will still be quite far from each other with no easy commute?
As for planning ahead... well things are like they are right? no point going into if I had done that or not...
But don't forget: the goose has a mum she can be really proud of.
Good luck!
Well, it's hard to plan for all possible future events. And I've found that even with lots of planning, unexpected things can still happen. But the Goose sounds like a great kid, so she's obviously had good parenting! Hope you find a good arrangement and good luck with the new job.
ReplyDeleteI hope there's noone seriouly telling you that you should have planned 10 years into the future. Will you move to the same place where the Goose lives now, so that she could stay in a familiar environment? (I ask because I moved a lot as a kid, and hated it. Now I still move a lot, voluntarily...) Either way, it sounds like a difficult decision. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteOof - complicated. I hope you can reach an agreement without too much stress for anyone - especially Goose and her sister.
ReplyDeleteI don't envy you the hard decisions you will be making soon, but I sure hope you get to see the Goose a little more often!
ReplyDeleteThank you all for your comments. I usually don't have my head too far up my ass, but sometimes I just feel the need to complain and I really appreciate that you can be bothered leaving a few words.
ReplyDeleteI never thought I'd say this, but the bloggers that regularly return to my site really brighten up my life. I don't know if that makes me a really pathetic internet junkie or someone that is open for input from the most unexpected places &people. I choose to rely on the former.
:-* to you all!
(and yes,I'm slightly drunk & sentimental. I LOVE YOU ALL!)
I wish you all the best and I think it will all sort out. I understand that it might be a little messy - and I am not really envious of all those descisions but you have Goose (_that_ I am envius of).
ReplyDeleteHappy to read your blog so not only you who is sentimental :)
xxo
hypoglycemigirl; that just made no sense at all. As you just said yourself earlier; stay away from internet-connected computers when drunk!
ReplyDeletechall; I do have the Goose and she rocks.
ReplyDeleteOh, wow. I have nothing to say but... it all sounds so very complicated. Best of luck in sorting out what is best for you, best for the Goose, and what works with all the other players involved! And I second Sciencemama, and hope that you get some more regular time with your Goose, however things turn out.
ReplyDeleteargh! Missed another carnival. Sigh. And been a bad reader/ writer lately....sorry 'bout that. Love your new header.
ReplyDelete