Saturday, 23 February 2008

Renewal? Not sure...

I would like to say something of general interest, something that is not already said about science, the future of women in science and whatever else is important. But as usual I don't manage to take it any further than my own little world.

After three years commuting CH-SE-NO, F-SE-CH-NO and F-SE-UK-NO (as in my workplace/flat - Goose/otherflat - hypoglycemiadude - parents/otherfamily) I had finally hoped to reduce my geographic spread by at least one. In December I interviewed for a job in Sweden, at a uni 10 minutes walk from my flat. Wouldn't that be fabulous? Only SE-UK-NO!

After two months and still no response I thought fine, it's not going to happen. Then the Trønder called saying that his missus, Dr J, had got a postdoc with possibility for permanent position in Norway (not close to my parents). OK, fine. I'll uproot from Sweden after ten years, sell the flat and try to get a job in Scotland closer to hypoglycemiadude or in Norway close to the Goose (although the town they will move to is a place I prefer not to live in again). UK-NO-NO sounds better than the current situation.

A week ago while I was on holiday my phone rang during dinner. I was offered the job. In Sweden. I have been repeating Alanis Morissette's greatest hit a few times since then. So if I accept, and I probably will, it will be SE-NO-UK-NO. Same life but different letters. Anyone complaining about two-body life?

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the job. I'm sorry it's so bittersweet. Your life sounds so complicated. Is there any chance of Hypoglycemiadude moving nearer to you? Is the Tronder's move a sure thing? I guess so or you wouldn't have written about it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the job! I'm sorry that it's all so complicated. I don't know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I had to try like five word verifications before I finally manged to get one right!! Why do they make it so hard?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats! I hope it makes your life a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Congrats! Happy to find a job in Sweden althought I understand that it might have been better somewhere else this time but still, it isn't a new country...

    I hope for a job in Sweden too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the job! All that commuting must be exhausting, but to someone like me who commutes from the suburb to the city, it also sounds exciting and glamorous! I think I need to find more time to travel....

    ReplyDelete