Sunday, 20 April 2008

Not very interesting, really

We had the first proper thunderstorm this evening. I took the normal round in my flat unplugging the electric equipment that means most to me; modem, computer, washing machine. Moved from my computer table closer to the window so I could watch the spectacle. It wasn't as spectacular as I had hoped - I love thunderstorms with a silly enthusiasm mixed with a good dose of respect for the forces involved.

My parents house has an amazing view over the sea and we've watched some spectacular thunderstorms there over the years. The house is pretty vulnerable - on top of a hill and one of the tallest houses around - but has never been struck by lightning. It was close once, but then the neighbours' house was struck instead. No fire, but ALL electric equipment was knocked out and left completely useless. Thus I'm a bit paranoid about certain important things. Oh, now it starts again; I'd better unplug!

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous. I love thunderstorms, but Vancouver doesn't get many of them. It snowed again this morning though :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get some really powerful thuderstorms here. The hear-it-rolling-in-from-miles-away, gusting wind, window-rattling-thunder-and-strob-light-lightening-kind. It's cool.

    ReplyDelete