#97: Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins (1995)
OK, now you're pobably thinking this stupid cunt* can't count; #99 last week now #97, hellooo? Damn, that Kochno guy was right.
I'll just say relaaaax; #98 will have to wait till I get it from Amazon - probably when I return from my next trip about a month from now - I just couldn't get it from iTunes. Not the Swedish store, not the French store. How bizarre is that? A top 100 album not on iTunes?
Anyhoo, now to the pumpkins. Didn't really figure them out back in the 90s, don't really know why. Maybe because I tended to oppose to any music my lovers liked. No, not true, the dude who liked the pumkins introduced me to PJ Harvey who I didn't use to like, but I changed my mind. Maybe because the smashing tunes that was mostly played on the radio ("Tonight" and "1969") didn't - I realize now after hearing the whole album - really appeal to me. And I wasn't curious enough to investigate further.
NOW I TOTALLY LOVE IT. Well, most of it. Some of the ballads aren't really my thing, except maybe "Stumbleine", but the simple guitar-based noisy ones like "Jellybelly", "Zero", "Where the boys fear to tread" and "X.Y.U" are just brilliant. I just wish I had this double album as vinyl and my turntable close by. Mp3s on an iPod or laptop are fine for travelling or at work, but there's nothing like the feeling and sound of a vinyl record. Five songs, turn it and then another five. If double repeat the procedure with the second part. Another reason I look forward to move back to my flat in Sweden.
*yes, I'm reclaiming the c-word
This album (that I haven't heard in ages) SO reminds me of my teenage years (yes I was a teenager most of the 1990s). Must put this on my list for the 1990s music party I want to have for my birthday. I am very curious about what #98 is...
ReplyDeleteheehee, you'll just have to wait a bit longer.
ReplyDeleteGot a message from Amazon.fr that they've dispatched the package, so maybe I'll get it before I leave on Friday...
Being a Chicago girl in the 90's, it was all about the Pumpkins all the time on the radio. I liked them alright but was really turned off by Billy Corgan who seemed (and still seems) like an ass.
ReplyDeleteThere's lots of music that I didn't get into when I was a teenager because I was too cool for school, but now I really like.
ReplyDeleteThis series is really cool. I'm glad you're doing it! :)
ReplyDeleteI'll be curious to see if you make it all the way to #1.
ReplyDelete(Hate the Pumpkins)
I remember being 15 or 16 and buying this album the day it came out!! It is still one of my favorites. May I suggest that if you like the SPs, then perhaps you might like the Silversun Pickups? They are a new band that sounds like a modern version of SP.
ReplyDelete