Thursday, 30 April 2009

WTF happened to Sweden while I was away?

Tried to order my European health insurance card online today and got a message I couldn't do it. Called Försäkringskassan (social security office) to ask why the hell not.

Well, apparently I'm not registered. ??+?++??. I sent the papers in October dammit. Seems like this is how long time it takes these days. They would speed up the process since I said that I'm travelling a lot and really need this card [it would of course be nice to have my social security in place in case I get ill while in the country as well, eh?].

While it freaks me out to think I've travelled so much recently without being properly insured I can't help but laugh at the thought that we're turning into France when it comes to speed of bureaucracy. If I hadn't made the call, my registration would've just remained in the pile of unregistered cases. But akshully, that's not entirely fair to France. At least in there I got a letter (within only a few weeks!) with a temporary social security number. Here in Sweden they've given me fuckall in six months. They were extremely quick to un-register me when I left three years ago, but getting back in seems pretty darn difficult.

2 comments:

  1. sometimes the absence of a safety net can be exhilirating...(and of course, sometimes not)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know, I should't be complaining, but that's what I'm used to... And I pay a whole lot of taxes to maintain the system

    ReplyDelete