Monday, 15 September 2008

#94: Metallica - Metallica (1991)

My little project - admittedly it's going pretty slowly - has thown some metal at me. Not really my favourite genre. But just the right timing since they're out with a new album. I've had a secret weakness for the sound of James Hetfield. And the three Metallica tunes I actually like are all on this album. Come to think of it, they may in fact be all the Metallica tunes I've ever heard. Maybe I'd like everything?
It started out pretty slow - Metallica is one of the bands that tried to fight Napster back in the days and maybe that's the reason I couldn't find them on iTunes? With all the travelling going on in July / August there was no way I could find a place to ship it if I bought it online. So I postponed it for September. Untill I stumbled over a record shop in Charlottetown and voilà. Metallica's black album will forever remind me of Ford Escape, red dirt roads and green rolling hills.

After a couple of initial slightly awkward dates (we were not really on the same level - I'm a hiphop girl after all) I grew really fond of this album. "Enter Sandman", "Sad but true" and "Nothing else matters" are still my favourites. Hetfield still hits, soothes and tickles my eardrums. And we spent a lot of time together in the car exploring PEI. Of course - as with any relationship there were, and still is, little things that annoy the heck out of me. I don't like excessive guitar masturbation. Hetfield's anti-religious lyrics can be a slightly too much for me (like yes, I get your point [insert name of favourite atheist blogger here], now please move on). But all in all I must admit I have fallen pretty deeply for this album. I even feel like checking out their new album. Slightly sad, but true.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing else matters remind me so much of being a teenager. I never heard the rest of the album... maybe be I should.

    ReplyDelete