Friday, 5 September 2008

Check the fucking saddle strap dawgdammit - or another reason why I hate being away from the Goose

Some time this spring, the Goose and her best friend started horseback riding on Fridays; a woman in the neighbourhood has Icelandic horses and she leads a group of kids every week. I was initially very sceptical to this idea. Back in the days when I was tween and teen I did some horseback riding in the summers with my cousin and realised that albeit very handsome - horses are big animals with small brains. But I was reassured that nothing would go very wrong since every child's horse was being led by a parent and I usually have faith in the Trønder's capabilities of dealing with four-legged creatures.

Turns out somewhere in the group there must've been an adult human with too small or at least absent-minded brain. I get a text from the Trønder this afternoon before leaving from work that they're in the ER with an arm that hurts. OK, no big deal - at least her head and spinal chord is are fine.

A few hours without any news I text them again wondering how it's going. The Trønder calls. They're on their way home after more than five hours at the hospital. Turns out her right arm is broken, just above the elbow. Doh! None of her parents ever broke any bones so she's ahead already. He tells me that her saddle slid off the back of the horse to the opposite side of where he was. WTF? Everyone dealing with horses should remember to check that saddles are properly tightened. I'd fucking like to punch someone in the back of the face.

She tells me she had to wait a long time before they had a look at her but then they drove her in a wheelchair and that was fun. She saw her arm on the x-ray screen, but something was wrong with the machine so they couldn't get a printout. She' more upset that we cannot go swimming on Sunday as planned, that they have talked about maybe cancelling her birthday party tomorrow (why the hell would they do that?) and that the cast makes her arm really hot, than the actual pain ("they said it will go away tomorrow"). Brave little girl.

So I'm pretty happy that I'm going home tomorrow. Wish me a safe travels; my long day will start in five hours and I need some sleep in between.

16 comments:

  1. I'm glad that it wasn't too traumatic for Goose. But *I* even know to check the saddle straps! At least everyone is ok. Travel safely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not, I broke my left arm just above the elbow by falling off a pony when I was 7! My sympathies to the Goose. But please tell her from someone who's had the same injury that it will stop hurting soon and it will make a good story when she's older!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amanda!

    Cath, I will certainly tell her that!

    Awright, bedtime, next round of comment moderation in about 24 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least you'll see her soon...
    Don't be too hard on the ex.
    It's life. Shit happens. But don't let it happen twice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy crap! I hope she at least got a pretty cast! Happy travels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry she was hurt (and you worried), but relieved to hear she'll be painfree (and with a good story about stupid adults!) soon. Travel safely and enjoy the change in scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! Indeed it must be painful to be not near and feel unhelpful. Hope the pain goes away and she can have a great birthday party! Travel safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad she will be alright and is so tough! Have a good weekend with your girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry to hear. As someone who has fallen off plenty of horses but never broken a thing - let her go back up soon enough.
    I agree with he "how on earth didn't they check the saddle" since yeah... horses like to fill thir tummies with air while you fasten the strap... I guess it sounds cruel but to give them a knee next to the strap is usually what has saved me in the days.

    good luck with your trip/move!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. TR; I don't really consider it to be her Dad's fault, it must be the responsibility of the instructor to check that everything is in order. Unfortunately she seems pretty absent-minded

    UB; the cast is not too pretty now, but she'll get a new one on Friday and then she can choose the colour!

    post-doc; unfortunately there is quite some pain now, but hopefully it will pass

    stepwise; the party was cancelled for today, but we'll do another one in four weeks when the cast is off

    albatross; thanks, I will!

    ReplyDelete
  11. chall; it seems to have been some misunderstanding between the instructor and her Dad. Anyhow, the instructor should be the one who checks all the straps before they let the kids up on the horse.

    But yes, as soon as the cast is off, she'll be back up there. I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad she's better, and that you can be with her now. Must have been quite a shock. Too bad about the birthday party, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Boo. At least the injury wasn't too serious. Glad everything will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Hgg

    Sorry to read the Goose is hurt, hope she will be painfree soon. Must be tough on you, but I hope she will be ok soon.Enjoy your last days in France before moving back to the swedish winter, but I am sure you will love it.

    Dr. F

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ouch, I'm sorry.
    That was a biig F-up on their part.

    ReplyDelete
  16. she's alreight; the cast is itchy and gives her some grief, but at least there's no pain anymore!

    ReplyDelete