On integration
France has for the second time recected a Moroccan woman citizenship because of lack of integration in the French society. The reasons given for her non-integration is that she wears a burka on request from her husband, lives in total submission to her male relatives and apparently doesn't know about her rights to vote etc. I bet "they" now think they have taught her a valuable lesson in how to live in a secularized world
I'm all for religious freedom but also somehow I understand the demand for integration in the society you live. And that leads me to the following question. Is being a woman-supressing patriarch somehow compatible with French values? Because that seems to be the case with her male relatives. Or maybe it's her own fault for letting herself be oppressed? That sounds oddly familiar in some way, doesn't it? And I guess they already have their citizenships, so they're fine.
But then - as le Monde somehow felt the need to point out in a subheading - this woman has during all her three pregnancies been followed by a male gynocologist. How does that match with the demand for burkas?
Oh dear, am I stereotyping a certain group of men now? Sorry. Damn, I never learn. I will immeaditely write 100 times in my text editor "All men are not assholes all the time".
UPDATE More information on this case here
No comments:
Post a Comment