Diet includes
Arduous just discussed the downsides of cooking for one and avoiding food waste. I usually keep my fridge relatively empty for several reasons. First, I travel a lot and things will go bad if I leave them for too long. Second, it's a waste of money to buy a lot of stuff that I won't eat anyway. Third, when I cook I tend to cook quite a large portion and live on that for a week (boring yes but WTF, cooking for one is boring). Fourth, cooking for one is boring and that makes me less adventurous. Fifth, I have forgotten how to cook because of many many days and nights spent at hotels and eating at restaurants for my very much network-based postdoc.
Here's a list of food items that have formed the basis of my diet for the past couple of weeks
Herbes de Provence (bought a big jar a year ago for some reason)
Maple syrup (bought during a visit of a certain Canadian)
Honey
Tea
Locally produced cold pressed rape seed oil (wasn't cheap, but very good)
Chili spice mix
Brown sugar (left by my flat mate)
Garlic (why I bought so much of it I cannot recall but they've lasted a long time)
Onions
Salt
Black pepper
Flour
Yeast (way past the best before date but still works)
Trying to finish most of it before leaving next week. So I've had quite a lot honey-sweetened tea, homemade bread, homemade pizza with onions and a sauce of oil, garlic and herbes de Provence. And I pour maple syrup over a lot of things (because I tend to forget to buy eggs so I can't make pancakes as Arduous does). I buy fruits and some veggies and cheese and I just bought half a kilo of pasta. That will keep me alive for the next few days. Boring maybe, but meh.
No comments:
Post a Comment