Saturday, 12 April 2008

Never really content

I found a new gorgeous place to run today. I've lived here for two years - well, I reckon I've spend more than half of my time away from here - and today was the first time I went West on the cliffs to run. And I found an beautiful stretch of narrow road that ended up in a little valley leading down to the sea.

I again regretted that I don't have a slightly lighter and smaller camera that I can bring with me all the time. It's small enough for a purse, but not really for running. So I'll have to go back at some point.

What also struck me, as it always does when I'm here, the lack of someone to share the beauty of Normandie with. I enjoy exploring a little bit alone but at some point I just go what's the point of not sharing it with anyone? I'm a bit ashamed about how little I've seen of the region. Partly it's because I normally spend 1-4 weeks at a time here and have too much to do or is too tired of travelling to have any energy to get out there. I tend to forget how lucky I am to have had the chance to live here when I work long hours or spend endless lonely hours in my flat. But as soon as I get my ass to the coast and look out over the channel and the magnificent coastline I'm very sad that I'll be leaving in six months. I've spent the last two years trying to get away from here, but now I'd like to spend as much of my remaining time here as possible.

But of course, I have another journey coming up in two weeks...

5 comments:

  1. I've been reading you for some time, wanted to leave some of my reflections as I think I am more or less in the same field, but cannot find an e-mail address. There is too much for comments, I'm afraid. Let me know if you have one.

    N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really beautiful. Everytime I've moved, I've regretted not spending more time exploring the place or appreciating its beauty. But perhaps you and Hypoglycemiadude can come back to visit together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard when you don't spend much time at home. My friend and I once moved to new towns at the same time, and when she came to visit me a few months later she was astonished at how well I knew my town already. She was spending almost every weekend visiting friends and family in other places, and barely knew her way around her town's centre at all. Of course I was a grad student and couldn't afford to go anywhere outside of cycling distance ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,

    so are you going to the swedish town or what? I want a full report! ;)

    ReplyDelete