Accept the realities?
I was told earlier this week that we should just accept the realities, the "realities" being that there are few women among the "really big guys" in our field of science, and thus stop trying to deviate from a 0:100 sex ratio on our list of potential invited speakers to a conference symposium.
I get so tired of these attitudes (can't just people grow up?), thank goodness for Zuska, and I just have one reply right now; hell no.
And yeah, funny how the attitude changed as the third (male) organiser agreed with me. DrugMonkey is right; we need the guys to stand up for something to change. Nothing happens if a hysterical female is the only one who points out the obvious. I'm so not glass half full at the moment. I'll just curl up in a fucking corner and accept the realities for a while.
i so don't think you have to accept this.
ReplyDeleteI feel for you.
ReplyDeleteI can relate to at least part of that.
ReplyDeleteThe reality was one of the reasons I ditched science. One of the other reasons was that UK science and chemistry in particular was looking poorly. I wasn't angry about it, I just got out for a while for think about it.
I've thought about it, and sadly I can't see myself re-joining the trial by endurance/patronate/politics/ability-to-take-long-hours-in-return-for-low-pay-and-being-undervalued for a permanent academic position.
I suppose that makes me part of the problem. I've accepted that I'm not altruistic enough to try to change the reality if that potentially means breaking myself in the process...
yes, one woman is not enough. It takes three. That is what they found in business. That is when things start moving and woman get listened to and from what I read, business with female managers tend to do better.
ReplyDelete