Friday, 11 April 2008

A bit lost in translation

Inspired by Ardous to travel more eco-friendly to work I decided to bike to work next week. I have done it before a few times during the summer months. I don't like biking when it's dark here, I don't trust the French drivers to see me in time. Problem is that my two small backpacks are elsewhere; one in my Sweden flat (or at my parents house in Norway - I have forgotten the minor details - in Scandinavia somewhere) and one chez 'ypoglycemiadude in Scotland. And I need to have a backpack for my laptop (I'm so not going to leave it at work spend the evening sans intenet).

So after work today I went to my local SuperSport to see if I could find something. And I did. The Millet Hiker II 38 "Functional and well compartmentalized bag for Trekking" looked good and voilà, I'm 99 € poorer.

Millet is a French brand, and the fun started when I got home and sat down to read the specifications. The version in the local language looks fine to me, and then the flip side actually has an English version. Ish. Here is what it said (I guess it makes more sense if you know a bit of French)

Uses
Trekking, hiking, travel. Several pockets and accessories for additional carrying when travelling or day bag.

Pockets camera, pocket girdles and frontal pocket
Pockets in volume for the arrangement of the small equipment, easily accessible since outside

Access melts of bag doubles removable compartment
For an easy access to all the container. Allows to separate high volume from bottom

Rain cover
Installed in a small pocket on the side of the bag, the cover of rain is spread over the bag and allows an effective protection. Removable to be washed separately.

Aren't they cute? Most of it I get, but the "access melts" - what the hell is that?

7 comments:

  1. You should get one of these when they come out too! I'm sure there will be a lot of potential for strange instructions with this one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno but I feel like access melting could be a really important function. Like what if it melts the hands of anyone who tries to illegally access your stuff?

    Oh, and yay for biking on your commute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes, that's gonna teach them nasty French crooks trying to steal my iPod!

    well, you can say yay! next week if I actually follow through... the weather forecast says perpetual rain, but I'll try to be as persistent as the clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahah! Great! I love to read such mad translations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what was the melting stuff in French? Did it make more sense?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I have thrown away the description (stupid, stupid) and I can't really remember what it was. Something to do with the possibility of separating the largest compartment in two (upper and lower). Sorry.

    ReplyDelete