Saturday, 12 April 2008

Trying something new

A Norwegian radio program, called something that roughly translates to "The Gentlemen's Department" has put together a list of what they think is the 100 best albums ever. Obviously they are not the first to do so, but they claim they've done the ultimate one because they've combined several other lists; BBC, Rolling Stone, New Musical Express, Melody Maker, , Mojo Magazine, Q Magazine 2003, Q Magazine 2006, Rock'n'roll Hall of Fame and Albumvote.

I've been thinking about this for a while and now the inspiration is here to do something bout it; getting the albums one by one, climbing to the top. While I won't compare these lists or in any way question their authorities about which other albums may be better (or maybe I will do that actually; we'll see) I will now dive into the music taste of middle-aged men and see how much of it overlaps with mine. Of the 100 I maybe own 14-15, listened to all of 18-19 and parts of a few more. A large part of it is in other words relatively unknown territory. I hope to hear from you which of these coming albums you have; when and how you got them, what you think of them and in which format; vinyl, CD, mp3?

I hope I will discover something new that I like, but I anticipate a bit of eye rolling. And needless to say - but I'll say it anyway - the list is awfully full of dudes. Now it's past midnight, so I guess I'll start with #100 tomorrow - or at least a little later today. And yes, as you may notice it's Saturday night and I'm on the Internet. I have no life. Or at least a pathetic one :-)

4 comments:

  1. I'm often blogging on weekend nights. You're not the only pathetic one -- you have many pathetic friends living in your computer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great idea! I'll be looking for your opinion on this stuff.

    As for blogging on weekend... this house is laptop central. Weekend or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What everyone else said. Besides, blogging on weekends is still an improvement over sitting on a couch and watching mindless TV shows, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. At midnight on Saturday I was already asleep in bed... "past my bedtime" is getting earlier and earlier these days!

    ReplyDelete