Balance I
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Back in the days when I had a relatively stable life with partner & kid I wish life was less about routines. Now when I travel all over the place and have no routines at all, I wish for more stability. It's difficult to achieve any kind of balance with work in one country (including frequent networking and conference trips), kid in a second country, new partner in a third country, parents and rest of my family in a fourth. For the last one and a half years, I have only once spent more than ten days in the same place. Once this spring I did not see my kid for two months.
I do like travelling and have three rules that makes the many travel hours easier and more harmonic
No alcohol, plenty of water. I have nearly missed a few flights because of sloppiness caused by too much Gewurtztraminer.
Very little luggage. I now have decent outfits for work, party and exercise in four different countries.
Enough time to allow for delays. My train from Normandie once was 30 minutes delayed at the same time as the personnel on the RER trains out to Charles de Gaulle suddenly was on strike. Not. Fun. I made the flight but barely
Always use the bathroom when there is one (you never know where the next one will be)
scientiae-carnival
This made me laugh. So true!
ReplyDelete