Sunday, 4 April 2010

What to do, what to do....

Not sure what to do with this space anymore. I know what I'd like to do in the blogosphere, but I don't have time. And when I do things half-assed, it
all
goes

pear

shaped
.

Especially when I have no time to respond.

I need a place to rant, but ranting over real people does not seem right when I can hide behind a pseud. Moreover, far to many people know My Real Self, so ranting about everyday work and personal stuff is out of the question too.

I'm occasionally ranting on Facebook under my real name so whoever knows me IRL can contact me there. I'm also generous with identity disclosure to old bloggy friends who gmail me.

Finally, it's the pseud itself. It's been bugging me from the very beginning. For several reasons. First part first. Funny maybe. If you don't suffer from hypoglycemia. Which I don't. So I probably sound like a huge insensitive ass for those who do. Second part. Cute maybe. If you're under 20 years old. Which I'm not. I'm frankly tired of being called cute, girl and sugary sweet and I hereby let hypoglycemiagirl aka hgg die. Or maybe hgg will just rise from the dead somewhere under another name. Who knows. It's Zombie Day today after all.

But before leaving I'll post a couple of way overdue photos. Silver Fox drove six hours each way  to meet me on my announced road trip from Canadian prairie to southern US trailer park back in January.











Since the latter is not really my style and since Transient Reporter complained

non-coastal south-west US
WTF? What's wrong with those of us on the coast?

I drove all the way to LA for another blogger [& daughter - the munchkin is even cuter IRL] meetup.



















After LA I went to Vegas, but what happens in Vegas....you know.



See y'all. Somewhere. At some point.

***

12 comments:

  1. I've been struggling with what content I'm comfortable sharing lately too. When your blog is new, you feel much safer in your pseudonymity and it feels relatively ok to blog about personal details. But after a while, you start to reallize that there is a lot of information contained in your blog, and gee, don't you wish you hadn't written so freely at first? At least that's my problem. I'm still blogging about stuff, but being a litle more guarded about what I post. Which is too bad, I think, since I think the principal value of blogs like ours is to share our problems with other people in similar situations to help them out. For example, I've found your situation with Goose completely fascinating, and your experience will go into my box of ways to deal with complicated family issues in academia.

    Anyway, if you move the blog or whatever, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, you know where I am and what my email/name is... :) If (when) you decide to move to a new place, please let me know.

    If nothing else, it sounds a bit like the old "personal but not private" dilemma.... I probably should write less private but I have stopped writing supermuch about my work place (although, that is one of the biggest needs to vent imho)...

    And I hope you had a great vacation and that spring and summer vacation is going to be fine too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was fun meeting up. I wasn't aware of the whole kerfuffle that took place - shows how out of it I am. But at least you're going out with a bang - with a response from Dawkins, no less.

    I agree with you that anonymity is making things less fun as a blogger - but I hope you don't give it up for good. What that little episode proves is that we need more voices in the world of science blogging - more diverse voices; more women, more minorities... Here's hoping you come back.

    All the best, TR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What EGF said. And I've never been properly pseudonymous. I guess the more individual the experience the harder it is to remain anonymous. Which is a great loss for the community. Because "I was treated worse than my male colleagues but I fought back" is very safe, but also rather unhelpful.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do what feels right - blogging is supposed to be fun! But whatever you do, please do let me know where you're doing it, so I can read it :)

    I will definitely stay in touch through Facebook, and hope to see you around the blogosphere under whatever name you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, good luck! Hope this will free up precious time on your computer or your mind. I know exactly how you feel.

    Let me know if you open shop somewhere else!

    I may spend a few days in your neck of the woods in September. And you're welcome trying local brews here anytime!

    Otherwise, probably catch up on facebook.

    All the best, and thanks for the great blogging and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wah! Sad to see you go, but understand why ...
    I'll hope to see you on facebook then ... as much as I dislike facebook, but I need to read your rants ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you move, please contact me! I blog really psuedishly, with several knowing that I do, so can't do the ranting thing or much about work. Did get a job offer that way, though!

    Hey, great boot and shoe picture. And I really like the hat picture, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. are you sure this is not a delayed april fool's day post???

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck, and please let me know if you open shop somewhere else! Until then, I will miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having the same problem. Want to rant but am really guarded. Good luck whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete