What's your addiction?
Ecogeofemme wrote yesterday on how she fights sleepy eyes at work. Not coffee, but jumping jacks* and going for a stroll.
When I'm in Scotland I usually have coffee twice a day. First some time between 6 and 7 In the morning when hgd wakes me up and brings me a cup of about a decilitre of super strong espresso**. Sometimes I'm too sleepy to even drink it before it's cold. My second cup of coffee I get on campus - usually between 10 and 11 in the morning. I walk the few hundred metres from the office to the centre of campus to one of the coffee shops and get a latte. If it's rainy I can walk indoors, if it doesn't I venture outdoors. Recently I've brought my own mug because I hate all the waste a takeaway coffee produces.
At my Swedish uni we have a coffee machine that makes various varieties of coffee, hot chocolate and blends of the two. Even if the quality of the coffee is not great, I tend to fill my mug much more frequently than I need to. And I get the caffeine-withdrawal headaches if I some day forget to have coffee. Since I have very little patience with other people's addictions, I will suffer through an afternoon of pain and grump and decide to stay caffeine free for a week or so. Then I go through the same process all over again. And again.
*Clearly she hasn't given birth to any babies yet and is happily unexposed to the costs of reproduction to a woman's nether regions. Just the thought of doing jumping jacks - in the office or anywhere else - almost makes my wet my pant. And the flying spaghetti monster forbid that I sneeze without crossing my legs first.
**No, that's not the only reason I adore him
Hahahahaha! My sisters say the same thing! Laughing, sneezing, coughing, but they've never mentioned jj's as a source of, um, leakage.
ReplyDeleteI'm definitely addicted to the morning coffee. If I don't have it, it's the only thing I can think about until I get it. I'm thankful that I don't usually want it later in the day, and I try to make it seem as gross as possible so that my addiction doesn't grow. I know a few people who gave it up for field work -- have you ever had that problem?
Frankly I cannot remember if I was a coffee drinker when I did my filed work far away from civilization more than a decade ago. Recently my work has been carried out in almost urban areas, in the lab or just by the computer.
ReplyDeleteYeah, any kind of jumping or running is bad, especially at the time of the month when oestrogen levels drop.
Tea!!! Just about to make my 3rd and final cup of the day.
ReplyDeleteI was never a coffee drinker until I moved to Sweden. I used to do something like what ecogeofemmes style to keep me awake. I find the swedish toilets for disabled people big enough to do some taekwondo kicking and do kungfu poses, a la Neo in Matrix. But these days, when I don't have jolt cola around, I have succumbed to the social pressure of filling my 1L coffee mug to the brim and be hyper the whole day.
ReplyDeleteI'm also addicted to caffeine...am on my first 16 oz. 'cup' of the day right now. My espresso machine is at my other house and oh how I miss it!!
ReplyDeleteI've had to deal with the field work and coffee issue as well. One time, there was a fire ban so the french press was out. Instead I got the little canned espresso shots from #$. On my recent trip, we were always near some tiny town and could find fast food coffee or gas station coffee. None of these options are good. But they still get the job done with no headache.
Yikes, just when I think it's safe for me to think about having babies... But seriously, I'm very concerned about going without coffee when/if I become pregnant, although a coworker assures me that I can still drink my coffee if/when I get knocked up.
ReplyDeletecath; I drink tea too although not addictively
ReplyDeletemogLi; that's a good idea, kicking around a bit!
albatross; no fast food coffee is never fun. I think life is too short to drink crap coffee...
ub; there are clearly (quite) a few costs connected to having babies but in the end probably worth it...
I don't drink coffee, but I do drink tea semi constantly throughtout the day-- more because its lovely and warm and flavorful though.
ReplyDeleteI... will admit, i tend to fall asleep, and don't work under the stay-up-late deadlines well. But if I have to, having a VERY well lit room and sitting up ramrod straight helps a lot.
I'm not good at the all-nighters any more, that's for sure, but sometimes it's necessary...
ReplyDelete