Sunday, 28 December 2008

Random doors

Finally the door opened and my aunt, her husband and two of her kids came out. I had waited outside for a while, didn't want to disturb their goodbye and I wanted to be alone with him. I had been sobbing for a good fifteen minutes already; the meeting with his frail 98 year old sister was too much for me. After many many decades they again lived under the same roof. For a little more than a week.

---

My grandma is bored at her rehab home. She's not a complainer, rather the opposite, but it's pretty evident she's not very impressed. Not much rehab is going on during the holidays anyway so we get her out of there and home to her house as much as possible. The doors to her room at the home are automatic to help the weak oldies open them. Sometimes the door open and close open and close at random times, both day and night. Which is pretty annoying and a damn good metaphor describing my career. Random doors opening as I passed by.

---

I entered, not really sure what to expect. He was never a chubby person, always lean, fit and strong. Recently less and less strong and more and more skinny. Still I whimpered when I saw how thin he looked, skin and bones only. Hadn't seen him since early August. I sat for a few minutes, looking at him, playing with his hair - the only thing that felt the same as before, his skin cold from the freezer. I didn't really want to leave, but spending time with the dead will not make up the for the time I didn't spend with him when he was alive. There and then I longed for a regular job I can do anywhere and close to my family. As so many times before during the last few years. I blew out the candles the staff at the home had lit for us, washed my hands, opened the door and left without looking back. I wish I had stayed longer, but people were waiting for me.

---

My dad says the company he works for needs people with my skills. Would be nice but I've always said I want to try the academic thing first. I still do, but the events of the last few weeks has made me seriously consider alternatives. There is a uni in this part of the country, but from a purely professional perspective it wouldn't be on my short list of places I want to end up. I'm not seriously looking for new jobs just three months after starting my new job, but in a year or two I need to decide whether to climb up the stairs to the next floor in the academic house or just grab my coat, open the door and venture out in the alternative, some of my friends would say "real", world.

Or maybe I'll just wait for that random door to open as they did before when I needed to move on.

22 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, hypoglycemiagirl.
    I understand your thoughts about moving closer to your family very well (but haven't moved yet, either).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so sorry for you, my sincere condolances and I wish you all the strength and warmth you need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. Holidays and time with family can bring up issues I'd rather not consider too carefully. (I keep trying to think of some nice way to conclude, but I'm coming up empty. I'll let you know if I figure something out.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather.

    I hope your grandmother is recovering well though!

    And the door thingy.... I would so much like to see the door open for me and give me a hint on where on earth I am going next, cause I don't know. Take care.

    och God fortsättning! (även om det kanske låter lite konsigt så här efter mer allvarliga saker.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hg, sorry about your grandfather. Good luck in these tough times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss. You'll be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post. Sorry to hear about your grandfather and condolences for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amelie, Nina, post-doc, chall, stepwise girl, Amanda & saxifraga thanks for your kind words. The holidays have been different this year, but as soon as the funeral is over in a couple of days we'll start looking ahead.

    And saxifraga, thanks for coming by, I had no idea you knew about my humble spot on the interwebz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stay strong.
    Best wishes for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey TR, thanks, good wishes right back atcha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry about your grandfather. May the new year bring comfort and better times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Cath, all the best to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry for your loss. And I hope that your Grandmother's rehabilitation gets on track in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. acmegirl, thank you. And welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry for your loss. May the new year bring you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  16. SW, thank you. I deleted the duplicate comment assuming they were both from you?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful post, truly. I am so sorry for the loss of your grandfather, and I can more than empathize with your ponderings over location. Being away is hard. I, too, hope that the new year brings you comfort and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  18. CE, thanks! I hope that when the funeral is all over this afternoon we can all settle down and I will publish more cheerful posts

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope that you and your family are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. UR, thank you. We're doing pretty well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Somehow I missed this lovely post. I too am sorry for your loss and I hope you're doing better now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. EGF; thanks! I was getting head above water after lovely North-American holiday and then crash boom bang life hits me again as my car hits the fences. Darnation.

    ReplyDelete