Tuesday, 21 October 2008

New people

My department is relatively new. It was formed by merging several other departments a couple of years ago. Obviously it did not happen painlessly - quite a few unproductive,individuals were flat out fired or offered early retirement. All the remaining people seem to be happy with the result at least those I have spoken to so far.

The department is loosely divided into several research units with control over some of the departmental funds. The unit that has become my new scientific home is the smallest one. Short description of the group from top down. There are three senior researchers - all male.  One of them, Prof P, is the head of the unit and married to one of the countries most profiled young female scientists; I know her from my alma mater. It's great to have them both within reach when in need for advice. His salary is paid half by the department, the other half he needs to secure himself through grants. There is one "uniersity lecturer" - he has the only position in the unit entirely paid by the uni - doing mostly teaching. Then there is one assistant professor, Dr F, who has a little funding from the university for teaching and also needs to secure the rest of his salary from external grants. He was at my undergrad uni in Norway for a couple of years at the same time as me - another familiar face is nice.

The next step down the ladder is me; four years of salary from the department to get started as an independent researcher, then I'm on my own.


Then there is one postdoc/junior researcher who did his PhD at the same time and place as me (from other Euro country too). He has been going for a long time on temporary contracts and he applied for the position I got; not entirely comfortable to discuss that with him.

There are two postdocs; one male from another continent and a woman from another Euro country. She did her PhD with Prof P and will be leaving for a third Euro country for a postdoc in January. It's a pity she's leaving; she's really nice, very bright and seem to bring some good vibes to the group, and the only woman besides me in the group with a PhD. Finally there are four PhD students (two of each sex and two non-Swedes) and a master student I haven't met yet.


So a fairly international but pretty white mix and a lack of women higher up in the hierarchy. What else is new?



Well there is something. These three weeks I have interacted more with my new department than I ever did with people at my French postdoc research institute.We've started reading a book. I'e been asked to teach in the spring. People are interested in what I'm doing. My unit plans to write a couple of review papers together.

It might be a language issue, but also a "critical mass of researchers" issue. I am so happy to be back in academia.

6 comments:

  1. Is that how it works then, after 4 years you can stay if you manage to secure your salary through external funding?

    The interaction potential sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume that could be a solution. The teaching in spring is not too much, one third of a course, but I'll have the possibility to do that every year. If I do well, I may be able to keep it after my four years are done and I then try to secure some external funding. [That seems like a pretty stressful situation though]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like things are going really well!

    Do you have funds to hire your own students / postdocs / techs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any allocated funding directly, but there is right now a lot of money at the department and I have asked for some funds for assistance. I assume that could be possible later as well, but in principle I'll have to find my own funding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good to me. It is good that you feel a friendly athmosphere. It is crucial, imho, to feel comfortable in order to produce good scinece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right, it's always nice to have a good atmosphere. I'm not sure if it is a prerequisite for good science, but it certainly helps.

    ReplyDelete