Wednesday, 16 July 2008

It's just a table...

I just ditched a table. Two tables actually, but only one of them makes me a bit sad. It was the coffee table my dad bought at Ikea when he first moved from home back in 1968. I thought about keeping it but I don't really have a good place to store it till the end of September when I leave for good. So as I handed over the other one for recycling (or whatever they do with it) I thought well, better get it over with.

But now I'm sad. It could probably have been useful for another 40 years.

8 comments:

  1. I found myself saving a lot more furniture than I thought I would. So I understand the attachment very well, but it really is a pain to move all that stuff. I'm sorry you're sad though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I shed a few tears behind a closed office door and now I'm over it. I think.

    I have more and more adapted my parents views that everything should be used intill they can't be used any longer, and that way of living is certainly less expensive than the consumerism we see nowadays. But it's hard to combine with an early-stage career in science.... And especially since my new job doesn't cover any of my moving costs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh... I recognise that. I tried to give my stuff away now when I moved out of my apartment over her in the States. Not to mention that people aren't interested in second hand over here as much as, what I am used to, in Sweden. It's so cheap to buy new stuff at Walmart so why not?!!? (because the quality sucks...)

    Anyway, good luck with the move and storage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of the stuff I have in my flat in SE is second hand stuff, except all my bookshelves and a (relatively speaking) new coffee table. I'll probably never have a home where everything is bought by me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad that you got rid of the table, but cool that something from Ikea lasted so long! It gives me hope for my entire household of Ikea stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of Ikea stuff is pretty good actually. I've been happy with most of the stuff I've got.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate it when I get rid of something with no problem but then have delayed sentimentality over it! It's so hard to decide, when we have the leisure to do so, what objects mean the most to us, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it isn't always entirely clear which things that are worth keeping.

    My parents basement is full of stuff they've inherited from various relatives. I won't have to buy furniture for decades....

    ReplyDelete