#95: Innervisions - Stevie Wonder (1973)
Please forgive my ignorant white ass but I just had no clue.
You see, when you released your alltimehighthitsingle "IjustcalledtosayIloveyou" I was twelve years old. Just at the time when kids usually start exploring music.
Don't get me wrong, it's a cute song and stuff. I can still sing every word, hear every note of your keyboard and wail every wail in my head. Because Norwegian public radio played it all the time in the mid-eighties (and frankly a lot since then too) and at that time there was only one channel to listen to.
I heard that song so many times I had to turn the radio off. Thus I wasn't really inspired to check out what else you'd done before. Even if I'd wanted to, the means didn't really exist in my world. No internetz and no iTunes to explore. Only one record store with an owner who only sold the music he was interested in (and that wasn't early Stevie Wonder). And my parents did not subscribe to any else than national public service TV (so no MTV as if that would've helped).
Admittedly I knew that some of your old stuff was better, but not that it was this mindblowingly beautiful, thought-provoking, funky and outright übersexy.
No comments:
Post a Comment