#99: X & Y - Coldplay (2005)
OK, so none of you give a shit about The Band. Fair enough. I wouldn't either if it hadn't been for this top 100 idea I got. Moving on.
Embarrassingly enough, what I know about Coldplay is that Gwyneth moved to England and got two kids with one of them. Good for her - I like Gwyneth - and as far as my Scandinavian ears could tell she pulls of the Brit accent pretty well in "Shakespeare in love" and "Sliding doors". Which reminds me that co-starring John Hannah from "Sliding..." did the best funeral speech ever in "Four weddings...". And did you by the way know that Kristin Scott Thomas lives in Paris and does a lot movies for the French film industry?
Hmm? Oh yes, the X & Y album.
ZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZzZ.
Incredibly boring until the very last song - the one that was written with Johnny Cash in mind - "Till kingdom come". A beautifully simple little thing about waiting, with only acoustic guitar, vocal and a bit of keyboard. I'll just ignore the spiritual part. And I guess "Swallowed in the sea was pleasant enough". But I don't think I'll go to Glastonbury to see them. But maybe to see Jay-Z
Any Coldplay fans out there? Do I miss the point?
No, you didn't miss the point at all. The first album was fantastic, the second had some great songs, but this one... I gave it enough listens to realise that it wasn't going to grow on me, and it hasn't been played since.
ReplyDeleteIt's like Coldplay by the numbers, like they found a formula that works and banged out some more songs with the same formula but without the soul of their earlier work.
I've seen Coldplay live a couple of times, and they're amazing. I hope they find a way to remember how to write great songs!
I agree with cae- loved (LOVED) their first album. The hidden track at the end is worth buying it for. The second album had potential and some great songs. Never bothered with anything after that.
ReplyDeleteI'll be interested to see if you make it all the way to #1...
ReplyDeletetransientreporter; me too.., my goal is do something once a week, but we'll see...
ReplyDeletecae & dancingfish; but why does someone think it's worth a place on the top 100 list?
Yes, that's very strange. Is their first album (Parachutes) on there too? Or maybe it's really a list of the 100 best bands, and they went for the most recent album rather than the best?
ReplyDeletecae; well, maybe it's there, maybe it isn't... you'll just have to wait and see!
ReplyDelete