Tuesday, 1 January 2008

Blocks of eight - books I recently read

This will be difficult since I haven't read too many books recently. Here are five I can remember...

  • Culloden by John Prebble. About dark events in British history. I bought it on my first trip to Scotland 20 year ago but have never managed to finish it even though I have tried several times. Failed again but got a bit further than previous times.
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. For the nth time
  • Getting Things Done by David Allen. Not sure if it helped me more than getting my inbox to empty nearly every day.
  • 3 comments:

    1. Care to talk more about the modeling book? How mathematically challenged are you? Ecogeoman needs a something like this, but feels very insecure about his (very) incomplete math background.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Maybe I'm not necessarily challenged rather I was too lazy to do more than compulsory high-school maths. I seriously regret that now. I always thought I'd do it when/if I ever needed it, but my time seems to be more and more constrained as the years pass by.

      I think your man should get and read a book like this and discover the educational holes that needs to be filled. Start the sooner the better since it may take some time to get into. There are always the "XX for dummies" series if necessary :-D

      The Otto & Day book is arguably the best there is for not-so-theoretical people. See a review by Tim Coulson in Trends in Ecology & Evolution 22: 564-565.

      Hanna Kokko also released a book in 2007, Modelling for Field Biologists (and Other Interesting People). I haven't read it or any reviews of it (yet) but rumours says it's worth checking out, and I certainly will at some point.

      ReplyDelete
    3. thanks for the advice, I'll check out the book..

      ReplyDelete