Wednesday, 29 April 2009

Phalarope

From Nature Jobs today.

"If it weren't for the grant, I would have skipped the tutorial and gone to the meeting for only a couple days," says NN. "My daughter would have stayed at home with her father, and I would have been thinking, 'Was it OK, was my husband able to pick her up from school today?' With the grant, I was focused at the meeting and not worrying about her."

My first thought was "Huh? What kind of slacker is the father of her child if he can't pick her up from school for five days while science wife is at conference?" 

Then I realized not all couples practice sex-role reversal. Note to self: must be more open-minded.

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear. Even my father was able to pick me up from school if needed (and is still able, to that day, to pick me up at the airport when needed). And he wasn't even around for 95% of the time, which shows how much of a part he took in my upbringing.

    I actually find quite saddening that people smart enough to be grad students put up with that kind of shit (by which I mean a partner unable to take the most basic care of his -- or her, but notice how it's always his -- own offspring).

    The fact that whoever wrote the article seemed to find this a good employment of the grant money is also flabbergasting. Unless there are good reasons for which the father would not be able to take care of his child, in which case it's too bad they have been left out of the article.

    I'm afraid I'm not open-minded enough for that one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, not a particularly well-written piece, but that's the case for most news blurbs.

    btw, Kitty, are you.....who I think you are? If so that's great, cause I never got around to check out your other place. But now I have no excuse to not read some French again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesom', Krazy Kitty. Nice name btw!

    ReplyDelete