Sunday, 16 November 2008

Waiting

The data from my MSc thesis is not yet published. The initial plan was to merge my work with a related study from one of my colleagues. That's fine with me. Problem is that my MSc adviser has the other student's data and hasn't been very responsive when I have contacted him about it. Last time was probably three years ago. I phoned him up and suggested I write something up. He wanted to look at the other student's data before making any decision and he was too busy to do it at that point. I embarked on a hectic two and a half years of Euro-commute postdoc and did not have a second to spare on that manuscript. The other student had started gradschool in a relatively different filed and was not interested in pursuing the ms [but will of course be co-author on the paper if it will ever be submitted]. So nothing happened

Now I'm in a phase where I need to get old shit out of the way and on to my publication list asap. So three weeks ago I sent an email to MSc adviser wondering if he would have time to meet if I showed up in his town early january. Clearly stating I would be interested in doing most of the job, I also pointed out - as he pointed out three years ago - that he would need to spend a few hours checking whatever he feels he needs to check. I informed about my recent academic transition. I proposed to most of the work to publish a boring data set on a charismatic species that should've been out ages ago. So why the *@£% haven't I got any answer? Not even a "Congratulationsonyournewjob. I'mtoobusyrightnowbutI'llgetbacktoyouassoonasIpossiblycan". No holiday or out of office bounce mail.

Maybe my geemail ended up in his spam filter? How long do I have to wait before I gently inquire (from my other account) whether he got my previous mail?

6 comments:

  1. This can be so frustrating. It's fine if people don't do things (to some extent) but then they should'nt stay in the way... Maybe one last email attempt and then a phone call? If he doesn't answer emails, this might be an easier way to get to him and have a brief chat... Good luck with it. THe boots are cool btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, well, if I had finished the manuscript just after my masters it would've been out of my hair a decade ago...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Non-answering collaborators are so annoying. Could you call the guy?
    Oh, and I love the boots, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A third suggestion to call... it usually works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have of course considered calling. Problem is, rumours say he's turned into a bit of a nut in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so annoying when people don't respond to specific, work-related emails. EGM and I seem to have particular trouble with the "did you send my rec letter?" message. Anyway, good on you for not abandoning your MSc work entirely! And I case another vote for calling. Good luck and keep us posted about what happens. I'm always interested in how other people handle these situations.

    ReplyDelete