Wednesday, 22 October 2008

Scientific shopping

My new department is swimming in money apparently. The university administration gave us till the end of the year to spend A LOT of dough, otherwise we lose it and next year's funds may be reduced.

In addition to that surplus, the unit I belong to have got some additional funding for some reason I don't really know. Before leaving work yesterday I passed by Prof P to inform him that I'd be working home for two days and then spending a week in Switzerland. Denying that I would only spend the time shopping, hiking and eating fondue I asked for permission to buy an expensive software licence (since there is plenty of money). No problem, go ahead. I half jokingly said that if too much money is the problem he could pay my trip to Zürich as well. Explaining the purpose of the trip and confirming that I currently pay out of my own pocket I again got a no problem, go ahead.

I love this place so far. Hope it repeats itself in a year.

3 comments:

  1. haha, "could you just pay my trip" - sure.

    that sounds lovely! I hope you have a good trip, although no hiking... but surely you can eat some fondue?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course I'll be hiking, but not ONLY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quick. Buy me a confocal.

    ReplyDelete