Assprof, Part VIII: The four body problem, or some creativity required
Four people with PhDs in biosciences need jobs, preferably not too far away so a little Goose can have both of her parents around. Not easy. One already has a lectureship in the UK and the rest of us do not really picture ourselves going there permanently. So for me there will always be some kind of commute going on. Pair-bonding is difficult. There will always be important decisions that I will need to make alone. Busy schedules need to be matched and visions about the future doesn't always concur.
As I have written about earlier I got a fellowhip to stay a year as a guest reseacher at Hypoglycemiadude's university. After some negotiations with my current employer we seem to have agreed that as soon as I show my face at the department regularly, I can use parts of or even all of the fellowship. So as of February 2009 I will start a year of fairly regular SE - UK commute. From the point of view of getting to know my new department it's obviously not great. After I got the job I didn't really need the fellowship to survive as a scientist, and my career and productivity would probably be better if I stayed in one place. I will again sacrifice some to gain some. From a relationship point of view it will hopefully pay off. At least it will be a compatibility test.
What about the other half of the four body problem? Ms J's postdoc started in September with a six-month stay in the US south. She left end of September. After some time of unemployment after his PhD defence and some short term jobs, The Trønder has worked on a temporary teaching contract at a univeristy college a bit north of MySwedishTown for a year. But now he takes his six months share of the parental leave for Fireworks and follows his wife to the US. After he had single-parented two kids for two weeks after Ms J left I brought him and Fireworks to the airport Tuesday earlier this week. Then I moved into their house to take care of the Goose until Christmas. Great for the Goose and I'm OK with it. No problem to stay in their house per se but I don't like the 100 + km car commute every day. Especially since I have a flat 10-15 min walk from my workplace. But it's temporary and I'll see my kid every day for several weeks for the first time in many years.
Mid-January I'll bring her over to the US south so she can stay there for a couple of months. Just in time for me to start the UK commute. When they return from the US, Ms J will commute to Norway and The Trønder will start another temporary teaching contract for his previous employer and stay in Sweden with the kids. And yes, they just bought the next door farm so I think they plan to stick around for a while.
It's a fucking mess, but we're getting pretty good at finding creative solutions.
Hey I know you're commuting to twelve different places, but when you come to the UK in February, let's figure out a way to meet up!
ReplyDeleteyes, that's already on my todo list!
ReplyDeleteWhat a situation! Could be worse I guess but I'm sure this gets pretty straining. You're really brave! Good luck with all that.
ReplyDeleteAs for going to the UK at the beginning of your position: during my trial period as assprof, I spend 6 months abroad. I guess I should blog about it, but my advice: don't worry too much about missing stuff in SE while you're in the UK. Get to know the people when you're around, and enjoy the fact that while you're away you don't have to worry about meetings and other crap. What I have found difficult is to manage admin that cannot wait remotely (eg hire PhD student who's starting when I get back). I have found generally that people don't work very well by email (in the admin in my place).
Good luck!! I admire your courage and will to make it work out for the Goose and the rest of your relationships.
stepwise, thanks. I don't always feel brave,sometimes I feel like a giant idiot for putting myself in this situation. And very silly for trying to have it all.
ReplyDeleteThese four years will be the test to see if I can make it or figure out what I have to sacrifice!
wow, that sounds really planning. I am not part of any problem with children, only the fact that I am in the South of US and have an native partner.... who has a job that can not be moved. Well, lets just see how that turns out.
ReplyDeleteI am sooo curious on where you are, but it is not really nes. I know, The commute must be annoying, I understand - but it helps I am sure that daughter can go to school and feel comfortable in her sourroundings. I guess it would be easier if it was not lviing in their place either?
Good luck and try not to plan too much but rather enjoy the present time as well!!
drop me a gmail and I'll tell you!
ReplyDeleteMe staying here was a compromise and probably a pretty good one if I can stay sane.
I didn't want to not see her for six months, i.e. that she would go with them to the US for their whole stay. And living in my flat would imply 200 km of commute every day since her school is close to their house and my work is close to my flat...
It sounds like you are all sorted for the next little while at least. And it is great that you are getting to spend so much time with the Goose!
ReplyDeleteYes, that's the best part right now. The rest is a bit of a struggle!
ReplyDelete