Assprof, Part I: The application, or I have some serious issues
Now that I have actually started my new job I can finally give you some of the history behind it. I applied for the job middle of spring 2007. For months I had known that the university had a lot of openings in the pipeline and I kept looking out for ads. Getting that would be fabulous; the uni is about a kilometer from my Swedish flat! Seeing the Goose on a regular basis! Lots of friends still in the area. Still parents and boyfriend far away, but far better than me being in a fourth place.
Finally I got an email from the Trønder that the ad was up. Three copies of cover letter, research plan, CV, publication list, a statement about how my previous teaching and research experience would make me perfect for the job, AND three of my most relevant publications were to be sent by snail mail (hello? internetz?) to the uni administration about a month later. Busy travelling, receiving visitors, planning workshop I didn't get much application work done till the very last minute. Too much angst and procrastinating because I knew I would be up against a lot of good people. The unemployment among Swedish PhDs in biology is hight and these positions don't population up every day. Because I really wanted the job I was scared shitless that I would mess it up. And I almost did.
I was supposed to send it off from France by snail mail just before leaving for Easter holiday. But I didn't manage to finish it. Braindead. No synapses working. I printed all the publications I needed to attach, had my CV and a pretty good cover letter ready. For the rest; very rough drafts if anything at all. Continued the struggle as I came back to Sweden to spend the weekend with the Goose in our flat before going to my parents on Tuesday. Deadline Monday 1500.
Only through a lot of help from Hypoglycemiadude my less than coherent research ideas turned into an actual research plan and the rest of the application pack got into shape at the very last moment. The neighbour kids and the PSP helped entertain the Goose while I frantically scrambled to get the application into shape. Had no printer, so I got help from the neighbour again. Had no bike so I borrowed the neighbour's and I speedbiked with the Goose in a too small child seat to make it before the office closed. About half ways I realized that the stuff I had copied in France and brought all the way up North was left behind in my flat (my pulse is rising as I write this. Flashbacks of adrenaline pouring out of my ears). No time to turn back. Arriving 5 minutes before closing time I apologized that the application was not complete. But apparently it wasn't too big a problem, I could send it as soon as possible. I watched the woman stamp my application and sighed of relief. Time to de-stress and be a better Mom again. And as usual think "never again!" but knowing it will surely happen again.
Goose got a piece of paper with the same stamp as my application. Made her happy. And this, folks, was the start of a lot of waiting, worrying and wondering what would happen.
What an adventure! I assume it never happens smoothly these things... but in terms of adrenalin, I'm sure you'll get many more surges in the coming times ;)
ReplyDeleteBest of luck. Must be great to be closer to at least SOME people!
In retrospect I can sort of laugh at it but I seriously need to get over the "lastminutescramble" I always do. Problem is it gets worse and worse as I get older. It should be the other way around, shouldn't it? Getting wiser with age?
ReplyDeleteRest assured you are not the only one among your peers who'd been on the same predicament! I guess we just perform optimally when the stress level is high. As they say, when the going gets tough, the tough go shopping...err...get going. Wishing you all the best with the applix...
ReplyDeletemogli, hey, nice to hear from you again.
ReplyDeleteYour comment cracked me the fuck up; I do tend to go shopping when stressing out!
hihi, sounds like a normal dead line "why do it now when you can wait and write some more on that marvellous thing"?
ReplyDeleteGood to see something in writing here again. I've been wondering...
chall, it's a fucking disease that's what it is. Wish there was a pill I could take.
ReplyDeleteYes, I haven't had much energy to write and I'm not good a the RBOC type posts. I have a series in the pipeline about this whole thing, so at least for a week or so I have something to post every day...
HGG> sweet. I look forward to reading.
ReplyDeleteI've been bad at writing "proper" things lately. My life has really turned a corner - sort of anyway... need to finish one grant application and in order to do that, I need to wrap my head around what all this really means ;) as usual that is.
yes, that head-wrapping thing is difficult; I wish it was always obvious!
ReplyDeleteI had one of my PIs come up to me on Tuesday saying "is the grant really finished and en route?" When I confirmed this, he said "but there's a whole day to go before the deadline. This just feels wrong. Isn't it supposed to be a last minute panic?"
ReplyDelete(I did ask him if he would feel better if he helped me with the other two grants I was still working on, but he declined!)
I think lastminutitis, as my colleague calls it, is almost ubiquitous in academia.
lastminutitis is a great word! I'll adopt that one to the academic vocabulary.
ReplyDelete