Tuesday, 10 June 2008

#96: Hounds of love – Kate Bush (1985)

30 years ago - at 19 - she became the first woman to top the UK charts with a self-written song (check out the live version - -no playback and lower pitch than the album there!). I was six at the time and it is one of the first songs I remember being played on the radio.

But to the Hounds of love - her best album so they say. And I'm toally swept off my feet! Obviously I've heard "Running up that hill" before but that's about it. The first impression is typically 80s sound with lots of unnecessary noise. But my goodness it's growing on me. Each time I listen I like it more.

Apparently this album was in it's entirety recorded in her own home and I would've loved to be a fly on the wall during that creative process. Its so full of vocal artistry, crazy background aaaoooo, wonderful melodies, weird sounds, a capella and crazy lyrics and the result is truly magic.

4 comments:

  1. Kate Bush is a great woman who just went out and did all the mad stuff she wanted to. I only know the best of, but I'll drop an hear on this album too. Her last double album is really worth listening to as well. Still Kate Bush but less crayz 80s production.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I'll check that out too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, where did my comment go?
    ARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete