Saturday, 8 December 2007

Emotionally challenging day

A couple of friends from England came over the Channel to visit me for the weekend. I met them in Zürich where he did a postdoc and she got employment as an assistant in the lab. After a couple of years they decided science was not for them. They are outdoorsy people, are actually interested in having a life besides science. They had a kid in April and after moving back to Britain in summer this year he started techer training. And likes it. They already have Xmas holiday and could thus visit me since I for once happen to be in Normandie. We spent the morning catching up on everything that has happened since I last saw them.

*poof

The afternoon was spent at a world war II memorial in Caen so we got our eyes and ears full of the horrors of war. And another reminder that the world is full of idiots and that they often are in charge. Did not help my mood that my throat and ears started acting up last night and that I can hardly swallow anything. An a slight fever to go with it. Virus infection that there is nothing to do about except for taking pain killers and wait. Couldn't even properly enjoy the Nuits-St-Georges we had with the steak for dinner. Miserable. But the Lindt & Sprüngli 70 % truffes we had for desert were gentle enough on my sore throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment