Cultural challenges
I got a culture shock today, hadn't really expected it here in the UK. I know people can be a bit stiff on these islands, but I wasn't really prepared for this. I need some help from others with more experience with this culture to give me some help on how to integrate.
Played tennis at the sports centre at Hypoglycemiadude's uni this morning, the two of us and one male and three female colleagues. When we were done and went to take a shower I realised that everyone else (in the all-female changing room) were changing under their towels. "What the hell?" I thought. Then I realized there were shower curtains around every single shower in the shower room. I thought, OK this is a joke, nobody will use them. But everybody were hiding behind the curtains and when getting dressed again, everyone were hiding in towels. What is going on here? Someone has to tell me, prefereably with a comprehensive "how-to" list, the following:
1. How do I put on a bra when I have to hide my boobs, my ass and my pussy in a towel? I don't have that many hands!
2. What do I do if I need to do pap smears to check for cervix cancer or do other things chez the gynocologist? Do it myself behind a curtain or under a towel while the doctor is giving instructions?
3. What do women here do when they give birth? Alone under a towel? Ask for a cesarian while keeping their knickers on?
Any other important points where a lesson can be useful?
I can understand that people could be uncomfortable with mixed-sex all-nude sauna like in certain Nordic countries, but an all-female dressing room? I don't get it. So I don't think I'll use that sports centre very often. I'll be uncomfortable with other people being uncomfortable that they might get a glimpse of my tits if they happen to turn at the wrong moment. Or worse that I may perhaps get a glimpse of theirs.
It's a shame since it's a great sports centre and I'm going to spend a year here in the relatively near future. I might just have to get over myself. And learn how to hide.
Uhm, yeah, that's how it's done in Scotland. Seriously, to avoid hassle, just copy. Visits to the Gyno (aka family doctor in Scotland) are fair game because its just you and the nurse in the room. Despite this you'll find that you end up in a little curtained cubical within the already private room.
ReplyDeleteThe sports centre changing room - far more chance of offending someone.
Nudity/partial nudity isn't really widely accepted in the UK, especially not in family environments like sports centre changing rooms.
You put your bra on by turning your back on everyone else while sitting down. You put your knickers on first, under the towel so if it falls, you're covered down there. Most likely you put your trousers or skirt on as well to avoid showing any underware at all. Bra only is acceptable but not encouraged so you should put a top on asap after performing the back-turn-towel-drop-bra-on act.
Other things to look out for:
swearing in public (again family type places) is bad, don't wear hooded jumpers in shops (or hats) because they are banned in some places, and don't forget to queue and be polite!
This is so funny! I haven't been to the UK, but what you are describing sounds just like America. When I spent a semester during college in a Scandanavian country, I was startled when I went into an all female locker room and everone was naked. I wouldn't have cared really, but I was with some American friends. God forbid we be naked in front of each other! :)
ReplyDeleteYou don't need extra hands to put on a bra in front of a puritanical audience. wrap the towel around your waist and tuck it in so it will stay without your hands and face the wall while you put on your bra. If people seem like they will be offended by even that (a side view of the boobs), you can wrap the towel under your armpits so it will cover all your dirty bits, put your bra on over the towel, and then pull the towel down from underneath the hooked up bra. It's important to put your undies on under the towel this way too. And if the towel slips in the process, a little shriek and giggle should bail you out.
My college roommate dressed this way for the whole three years I lived with her. Honestly, I wasn't really interested in seeing her boobs anyway. :)
Oh, and here at the gyno, a man doctor won't be alone in the room with you once your clothes are off. So a woman nurse has to be present during a pap smear performed by a man doctor. Once when I had an exam, they had a medical student there too, so there were three people crowded around, checking it all out. lovely.
ReplyDeleteAw... This sounds extremely stressful! As a fellow fennoscandian, I really feel for you. I would just behave bad, I guess.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was living in Austria, I was shocked in the opposite way: I used to go playing volley ball with a mixed team, and after the games everyone, males and females, took shower together in very open room. I didn't. And mind you, I don't mind swimming naked or having sauna naked, but when there are more than one shower room, I don't see the point? I guess I am just so damned chaste ;)
All in all, I am very happy I have chosen a scandinavian country to live in, where I don't have to vorry about someone getting offended by my boobs!!
laugh! where do you think the puritans originated? and where did they go? yep. I know. My case? I just don't worry about it. I'm comfortable with my body so I don't bother to hide. They won't be looking anyway because that's another no-no.
ReplyDeleteFunny, I had the same experience in the US. I did not quite behave, I guess -- turn towards the wall, ok, but it is simply not possible for me to put my bra on over the towel.
ReplyDeleteSo I think I conclude that when I'm with people I know, I'll try to do what they do. And if I don't know anyone in the changing room at the time, I won't give a shit. How's that?
ReplyDeleteperfect plan!
ReplyDeleteDamn... should I be reading this?
ReplyDeleteI feel like I'm looking through a one-way mirror...
TR