Monday, 8 October 2007

A wonderful opportunity, but...

Relatively spontaneously in early September Hypoglycemiadude and I responded to a call from his university about a 10 month visiting fellowship. Hey, wouldn't it be great if we could be at the same place even if it's just for 10 months? We revamped a project from a job application I sent in spring. An excellent project, if I may say so. Hypoglycemiadude already carried out a pilot experiment during his postdoc.

Now it turns out that whoever had the power to decide, decided they liked the project and my CV and I was offered one of two fellowships. That's great, but during the 10 days since the announcement, several tricky parts have occurred to me. Obviously not unsolvable but enough to make a natural worrier like me worry.

1. I have to start no later than Feb 2009 and my current contract + extension ends April 2009. It is not a problem per se to quit my current contract a little earlier. But since it comes with lots of funding for travel to conferences and courses I'd like to keep that as long as possible since I doubt I will ever get into such a good deal again.

2. The fellowship sort of implies that I have a job elsewhere to cover social security. I won't be denied the fellowship if I don't have a job, but it is certainly preferred. So I now hope to get a job offer where I can say "Great, thanks, I'm leaving now, I'll be back in 10 months!"

Making my current contract part-time to have social security in France may be possible but requires several steps involving my network's coordinator, EU decisions, French employment rules and regulations within my institute. Even if one part succeeds it may fail in other(s).

3. I will work very closely with my partner, and we haven't even lived together for more than five weeks in a stretch. Talking to my current boss, Dr E, about the different options regarding the fellowship a few days ago, he said that he could neever work with his partner. Does any of my two (or is it maybe five now?) readers have any advice on this?

Exerpt from Skype chat with Hypoglycemiadude today

HG: Dr E was asking me if I thought that working with you would be a problem
HD: Meh, I worked with my ex-girlfriend when we were still together
HG: Yeah, and she broke up with you
HD: Good point... but we lived in different countries. Eh, yeah, so do we I guess

So even though I'm thrilled to have won the fellowship, and it's a good kick in the nuts of the omnipresent imposter devil in my head, all sorts of worries comes with it. And I haven't even mentioned the Goose yet.

8 comments:

  1. Dr R and I did our PhDs in the same group and in the same lab. I'm not sure I want to work that closely again. The main problems are politics - if you have different opinions on how things should be done, or situations in the group, it overshoots into the time off. On the other hand, it could be one of the most supportive working relationships you've ever had. Someone to bounce ideas off, etc.
    When I think about it, I'm not sure I'd even want to be in the same department as him again. People tended to lump us together and not consider that we were individual thinking beings. They assumed that we'd always just 'vote' together.
    Hard choice all the same...the chance to live together for a while would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, congratulations!

    But second: I HATE these shitty scholarships without social security. Honestly, what are they thinking? Retirement plans and matrnity leave were obtained for "real workers" almost a century ago, and I don't see why scientists (and artists) should not have them. Because that's what usually happens: The scientist (e.g. me) has no other job and thus, no social scurity and crappy health care. After all, what employer wants to pay social security for someone working for another institution?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Charlesworth, the Grants and probably a lot of others. You have already done enough to be seen as an independent scientist, so I think one project can not be bad for you carrier-wise. If it is always a good idea for you relationship? Hmmmm, only you can tell, but I think it is a good test and can be a good experience to get to know each other in another scenario. I guess if you set base rules, like how you treat each other and not talk work at home, if you don't
    want too, you will get something good out of it. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting read, your blog. My first time visiting and I like your style of writing. Also interesting on your postdoc, being a mom and keeping relations together.
    Cheryl Marie Cordeiro

    ReplyDelete
  5. Difficult, I'd say. R and I work in the same lab. Which is quite small. So we're together nearly all day long -- depending on your need for freedom or time together, that can be anything between tough and great. I am happy with it, for the most part. If you would be I cannot tell.
    As Propter Doc mentioned, there is also the aspect of all things work being carried home. Not so much fun if one of you wants a break and the other feels the need to finish up something. Particularly if the first one feels like you've been discussing the same issues over and over again...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Sounds really tough but your sense of humor is refreshing. I'm going through a similar situation. Let us know how it turns out! BEST of LUCK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all your comments. I probably won't start the fellowship for another 15 months, so lots of time to prepare mentally.

    Anonymous: I actually met Rosemary Grant at a party yesterday and wanted to ask her about the secret behind working with your partner. But the Goose fell asleep already during the main course, so I had to go home pretty early and didn't get a chance to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. V and I are grad students in the same department and have both spent time in the others lab. I agree with Propter Doc about being seen as a sinlge unit. I get calls to sign for his deliveries and his advisor comes to me looking for him just because my office is closer than his is! It hasn't caused us any problems but is annoying.
    In terms of actual work, we are distinct enough to avoid problems of day to day research clashes but enjoy the benefits of discussing ideas whenever they arise. I think it is most important to stick to set rules (whatever works best for you) on how you plan to keep your work and personal relationships seperate.
    That is really awesome about meeting Rosemary Grant!

    ReplyDelete