Saturday, 9 June 2007

Invisible?

When Dr. F invited me to give a talk at N University, I was very happy & honoured. It also struck me that this is the first time I have been invited to give a talk somewhere ever. I frequently go home to the town where I did my PhD. The purpose is mainly to see the Goose, but I regularly visit the uni too. Many of my old colleagues knows my situation and knows that I return on a regular(ish) basis, but not once have I been invited to give talks about my postdoctoral research. Never the previous project, never the current one. Furthermore, never have I been invited to talk about my current project when I have returned to the uni where I did my previous postdoc, which has also happened fairly regularly for mainly personal but also professional reasons.

I discussed this with Dr F over breakfast and her theory is that the people at the unis where we did our PhDs only remember us as the stupid litle undergrads we were when we started our PhDs and not how we developed and what we were when we left. I would imagine that people at the unis we have left would be interested in how and what previous colleagues are doing in their new projects? I keep wondering if I have made a everlasting and unerasable bad impression on people? Or is it simply because there are too many talks alredy planned and no vacant spots to fill? Is it because it is preferred to always have new people talk? I'm not too worried about it, but it would have been nice to be appreciated as a scientist, not only a glamour girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment