Friday, 1 June 2007

Changing my mind

Moving to Fance too take up a new postdoc, it wasn't only new lab, new language and new life. It was also new computer. Having used Macs for more than a decade I was slightly sceptical to having to convert to a PC, but there was no choice if I wanted to connect to any kind of intranet. Fine, I am always open to new experiences, and the virus threat is probably waaay less troublesome than the impression you get from the media. Needed to optimize performance and price so I ended up with an Acer TravelMate. I was never really super impressed. It's heavy, it's been unstable, the wireless card sometimes stops working and the screen started acting funny after less than a year of use. OK, I have travelled a lot and traveeling is stressful, I know, but it's a laptop for crying out loud. The name of the model indicates that travelling should be part of the deal. About a month ago, the day after my return to France, it collapsed. Probable diagnose overheating (I can't help it, I'm just hot) and it left me for a visit to the Acer hospital in Paris. I was left alone with myself and my iPod. I got through 10 weeks of old Nature podcasts.

Thanks to a spare laptop from my lab I have got some work done, but my goodness I was happy to get my Acer back yesterday. After the Transtec crap I have worked on for four weeks, I realise that my Travel Mate rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment