National day far away
It's my home country's national day today (locally called "søttenemai" simply meaning 17th May). I have been expat since 1998 and have only been home for søttenemai once and then I did not really participate. I have too many memories of walking in endless parades playing trumpet, flute or saxophone in a ridiculous uniform being extremely tired and envious of the other kids wearing their new outfits bought especially for the day. You may wonder why I kept playing in the band if it was so terrible. Except for that paticular day every year it was pretty fun, learned to play an intrument and got a pretty good music education. The hundreds of bands for schoolchildren in Norway would probably not exist withut the søttenemai tradition.
After quitting the band I mostly remember how boring it was to watch the parades for hours so I never really bothered to travel home for the occasion but last year I took the Goose home to my parents for søttenemai. I did not join to watch any parades but my parents brought the Goose who apparently was totally excited about it after a period of total confusion about the ongoing madness.
This year I'm back to the usual routine; being abroad. And pretty bored. All my colleagues who were her have left and I'm stuck with myself. In addition I have four days of not going to the lab since it's holiday today, bridge day tomorrow and then weekend. I have to put up with myself for four f...ing days. KJEDELIG! Maybe I'll be desperate by tomorrow afternoon. Maybe I'll Skype Hypoglycemiadude at work and strip in front of the camera. Maybe his boss comes in accidentally. Maybe he'll be so impressed that he'll give me a job. Maybe not the kind of job that I want. Maybe I won't strip after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment